Thursday, October 14, 2010

My Life as a SAHM

Stay at home mom. Those words used to send shivers down my spine. "How boring." I used to think to myself. "What a waste of talent." And to be completely honest, I'm sure that is precisely the attitude that most of America has towards us moms that choose to stay at home. We are taught now from a very young age that we can "do it all," "have it all" and "become whatever we want." And to some extent... we can. But the question is, SHOULD we?! SHOULD we be spreading ourselves thin to everyone and anyone and give our kids and our husbands the leftovers? And not only that, can we without paying a price? The answer is NO. We become the tired, ragged, burnt out wife and mom that we won't let anyone else see. It's thought provoking, is it not? For the first year and a half after I had Brinkley I did precisely that. I did not cut back on any of my commitments, on any of my work hours, or on any of my pressing social engagements and I ran myself completely ragged. I felt exhausted all of the time trying to keep up with everything and everyone. And I felt time go by so quickly that I constantly felt torn between my family and all of my obligations. "Is this the way it is supposed to be?" I wondered. So I began to do some research. I dug in to God's word and examined other families who I admired and loved. The results came in staggeringly slanted to one side. TIME is such a precious commodity that it has to be guarded. It sounds like such a foreign concept. Guarding time.
The wise woman builds her house,
but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down. Proverbs 14:1
What does this mean, to build a house? I think that it possibly means that our #1 commitment is first to the Lord and 2nd to our families. We are to be spending our time BUILDING our houses. Investing TIME in our families. What good am I if I am President of the PTA, room mom for my kid's class, and Sunday school coordinator, but my own family is suffering?
So with the Lord's help, this is what I have been attempting to do. Spend my time at home investing in my family. The sense of fulfillment and contentment that I have had has been overwhelming. So these have been some of the activities that Miss B and I have been up to...

met some friends to pick strawberries







Titus 2:3-4
3Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.

Busy at home. Occupying ourselves with our roles at moms and wives. In Voddie Baucham's book, Family Driven Faith (which I highly recommend to anyone who has not read it) he explains that "anything that causes you to sacrifice your family on the altar of prosperity is not of God." He encourages women that being a wife and a mother is an honorable calling. We are investing in the future. We have SO FEW years where our children are in our homes and under our influence. Why not make the most of them? Slowly, I have noticed my own attitude change. I look forward to my days with my girl, and also with my future children. I am proud of this life that I have and I wouldn't trade it for anything or anyone else's. I know that I am called to an honorable calling. And I am proud to fulfill that role. xoxo- KK

B and I spend our Mondays at ballet, then sometimes we meet up with Papa to feed the ducks.




1 comments:

Jessica said...

I loved this! I stopped working 3 days before my oldest was born. Honestly, I can't imagine how women work and take care of their families. Some days I feel worn out and exhausted JUST from being at home with the kids. Your insight is amazing. Thank you.